Challenge 2017/18 - # 32, Chocolate Delight

I'm moving right along on my Challenge 2017/18 to finish 52 quilted projects in the year 2017. That was one for each week of the year. I didn't make it so I'm continuing into 2018 and added an additional 12 projects (one for each month).

This post is about a twice quilted quilt. I wrote this pattern as part of a scrap swap series of patterns/classes I offered when I owned my own quilt shop, Needleworks. Participants came with a supply list of fabrics, we would cut our fabric up and share with each other. This quilt was planned for February and used a collection of fabrics with chocolates and hearts. I'm working on re-writing the pattern and hope to share it as a freebee soon.

Now, back to the quilt. I originally layered it with a cotton/poly batt and a wool batt. I started quilting and unfortunately in my haste didn't make sure the wool batting was advancing as smoothly as the cotton batting. 3/4 of the way down and the batting had shifted so badly that I ripped the quilt off the frame and bundled it into a pile in the basement.

This fall I decided it was time and started picking out all those stitches!

I reloaded the quilt with only the wool batting and used a digital design from Wasatch Quilting to quilt it from edge to edge. I really just wanted this quilt done.

The quilting design adds some lovely texture to the quilt. I like the name of this design, New Beginnings, as this quilt has a new and completed life!

The only down side is that when I unpicked all the threads, the back was quite linty. I threw the backing fabric through a cycle in the wash and dryer to get as many threads off as I could. Didn't think for a minute that washing the backing would shrink it!!!!

Yep, I had to add to the backing fabric, while it was on the machine. There was no way I was going to take this quilt off the frame. So a google and pinterest search found a few sites and videos which I combined to get that extra fabric on the backing.

As I mentioned in my post on my Alberta Lone Star quilt, I really like doing the Faux Piped Binding. I was sure that I had the binding cut and ready to go, but couldn't find it. I used a natural coloured muslin and solid burgundy that matched close enough to make the binding.

The quilt is all done and we are enjoying the added warmth on our bed.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
  • Facebook App Icon

© 2016 by Meadow Rose Quilts. Proudly created with Wix.com